11 July 2017

2001: A Space Odyssey (finally)

If you've studied physics you have the right to be a nerd. And then you have an excuse to see classic sci-fi films. I clearly wasn't nerdy enough because I hadn't seen the film mentioned above. An omission! But that would get sorted in unexpected ways.

On Wednesday I meet my Welsh tutor, Jenny, in the pub for some conversation practice. This Tuesday I suddenly got the email asking whether I might be interested in going to see 2001: A Space Odyssey instead. Eh, well, yes!

A painted image of four space-suited astronauts standing next to a piece of equipment atop a Lunar hill, in the distance is a Lunar base and a ball-shaped spacecraft descending toward it—with the earth hanging in a black sky in the background. Above the image appears "An epic drama of adventure and exploration" in blue block letters against a white background. Below the image in a black band, the title "2001: a space odyssey" appears in yellow block letters.

We met in Pontio, to have a pre-film drink and chat. She had been directed towards this film because one of her other tutees was in media studies or something, and had written a book about Stanley Kubrick. If she would go and see the film they could discuss it in Welsh!

We went in. It started a bit silly. The initial space scenes are a bit cardboardish if you are used to 2017 technology. But for a 1968 film it must have been amazing! And I wasn't too impressed with the ape scenes. My disbelief wouldn't be suspended.

Then the film moved to the space age. That was better! It even wasn't that politically backward. It featured female space scientists. No non-white people, though (not that I noticed, anyway). And the speed of the film isn't very high but I don't need that. There was enough to think about anyway!

When it was over (which isn't particularly soon) we had a post-film drink too. Enough to discuss! What was that monolith? What happened to the bloke? What is 'gravity' in Welsh? Why was the space ship so big? What was the crew supposed to do on Jupiter? And so forth.

I'm glad I've finally seen it! I suppose film classics are as worth to pursue as classic books are...

1 comment:

Jesper Hansen said...

Discussing a movie in welsh - that's nerdy...
By the way, I love this film - the beginning is hairraising beauteful.