19 June 2010

Quest for identification

I want to go to the USA and therefore I had to first go to Wales. If you want to enter the USA your passport has to be valid for another 6 months. A ridiculous rule, but nobody has the power to tell the USA that in such a way that they'll listen. Mine of course would only be valid for another 5 months. And the Dutch consulate in Plymouth does not issue passports anymore.

One can go to Southampton or Cardiff. I've been to (the vicinity of) Southampton several times, and it's not a very pleasant drive, with 2 lane roads with a roundabout every 100 meters. The train connections suck too. And I'd never set foot in Wales! So Cardiff it would be. Or rather; Cowbridge, as the consulate actually is in a village west of Cardiff.

Cowbridge

 
So with proof of address and my old passport I drove up, on a sticky sweaty Thursday. And arrived in good time in the hamlet of choice. Checking the address my heart jumped; the first thing I saw was a big sign indicating the Norwegian consulate! Then I noticed the smaller sign below of the Dutch equivalent.


Inside they advised me to first go to the chemist on the other side of the road, for pictures; there they know exactly what the requirements are for the pass photo. That was done in a whiffy. So then I could hand all necessary paperwork over, and have my fingerprints scanned. The friendly man helping me out turned out to be both the Dutch and Norwegian consulate official! Not that he spoke either Dutch or Norwegian, but still. And 15 minutes later I was standing outside again. And it’s only a matter of time before I have a passport with all bells and whistles and vuvuzelas one could imagine. A questionable honour, but it will get me to our fieldwork!

4 comments:

Jesper Hansen said...

USA - this symbol of the free western world - can really cause troubles if you want to go there. When I lived in Greenland I needed a journalist visa for US - and since there was no US Consulate in Greenland I had to go alle the way to Copenhagen. Because you can't get an US visa without a so called "personal interview" with a staff member at the embassy....

Jitske said...

Hallo Margot,

even een geheel ongerelateerde reactie (ik heb alleen nog een npolar-mailadres van jou en ik heb zo'n vermoeden dat dat dood loopt): ik ben de tweede helft van augustus met een SPRING-groep in Dartmoor en Exmoor. We gaan de Two Moors Way lopen (vertrekpunt Ivybridge, eindpunt ergens aan de noordkust). En ik vroeg mij 2 dingen af: 1) heb je nog tips? Jij gaat wel eens op de moors wandelen, zijn er dingen die we MOETEN zien als we er toch zijn? Of andere handige weetjes (goede kampeerplekjes bijvoorbeeld)? en 2) als je in de tweede helft van augustus in Plymouth bent, zou je het leuk vinden op één van de rustdagen een kop koffie te komen drinken? Kan je nog niet vertellen wanneer die precies zijn, maar wel dat ik dan vermoedelijk zonder vervoer in een durp ergens tussen Dartmoor en Exmoor zal rondhangen, dus dat eventuele fysieke verplaatsingen dan door jou zouden moeten worden gedaan :-). Als het idee je wat lijkt, geef een gil, dan laat ik weten wanneer ik waar ben met tijd over om dingen te doen als koffie drinken (ben reisbegeleider dus dan is een rustdag niet altijd echt een rustdag...). Als niet, dan niet, het was maar een idee dus ik ben niet beledigd of zo. O ja, en mag ik je e-mailadres? Het mijne: jbrommet@hotmail.com. Dank en groet,

Jitske

Margot said...

Blimey! Wat een nare truuk is dat zeg! Ineens een toeterende malloot op mijn blog. Gelukkig is hij alleen op afroep...

Margot said...

When they had actually spoken with you, were they willing to give you that visa? They're not famous for appreciating loudly criticizing types like you Jesper... :)